Friday, November 20, 2009

Time well spent

I recently got back from visiting my grandparents at their home in Hayesville, North Carolina. They've lived down there permanently since 1994 but have always spent their winters there since before I was born. Grandparents are truly amazing people. I know I'm very lucky because 3 of my 4 grandparents are still living and I'm 26 years old. I lost my grandfather (my mom's dad) in February 2008 and it was very hard losing my first grandparent. However, since his death, I feel like I've made more of an effort to stay in touch with my family.

My grandparents in North Carolina are my dad's parents. I am their ONLY grandchild. To answer your questions, yes, I'm spoiled rotten. But seriously, my grandparents have always gone out of their way to make sure I have everything I need, including a car, college education, clothes, etc. I feel like I used to take their gifts and support for granted, but I've worked hard to better appreciate these sorts of things. I hope they know how grateful I am.

As a young person, I never thought of my grandparents as "old" people. I always thought they were full of life, loving everyone (including me) and always gracious. Now that I'm older, I can start to see how "old" my grandparents really are, but in a very funny way! They are so particular about things! They are amazed about the things I can find them on the internet (like peanut butter pretzels and websites with information about people in our family). They have very strong opinions about politics and Bill O'Reilly (who my grandfather LOVES and DVRs everyday). They like their food a certain way and become irritated if something is out of routine.

But at age 83 and 80, I think they deserve to do things however they want. Not to mention all the lovely things they do like try to make me pancakes for breakfast, make sure my rental car is paid for and the gas to go in it, try to keep up with me even though the emphysema and Parkinson's is holding them back, and always make sure I want for nothing.

My mom's mom is a whole different kind of grandparent and person. This is a woman who grew up during the Depression and still spends like she has nothing. She makes the BEST pie crust I've ever had! She would never have a second thought about making a full dinner for the upcoming holiday. And while she never really spoiled us grandchildren (7 of us, me being the youngest) we were always sent birthday cards, invited to spend the night whenever we wanted, and always told how proud they were of us. My grandmother gave me my love of crockpotting and bean soup, she often took care of me when my parents were working, and always had Trident gum available.

Amazing people.

No comments:

Post a Comment